SEVIS Transfer from Indiana University
- Immigration Status
- Staying in Status Overview
- Staying in Status Presentation
- Getting into J Status
- SEVIS Fee Chart
- SEVIS Fee Information
- The SEVIS Fee
- SEVIS Helpful links
- Address Updates
- Completion of course of study
- Visa Options Powerpoint
- Visa versus Visa Status
- US Visas & IU
- Enrollment Information
- Travel & Re-entry
- Financial Aid
The US Department of State oversees the Exchange Visitor program, and must be notified whenever you plan to change your J-1 program sponsorship. This can occur when you are currently enrolled as a student at Indiana University in J-1 status and plan to enroll at another university, or if you are already enrolled at Indiana University under the IU sponsorship and wish to have your J-1 sponsorship transferred to another Exchange Visitor program (IIE, ACTR, etc.). When the transfer process is completed, Indiana University is no longer your program sponsor.
Your SEVIS record must be transferred out to your new sponsor before they can prepare a DS-2019 for you. If you are considering having your SEVIS record released so that you may attend another institution, you will need to request this transfer in writing through the iStart system. To perform this action, you will need to take the following steps:
- Log in to iStart.
On the left side of the page, click “SEVIS Transfer Out.”
- Carefully read and complete this e-form. Take special note of the date you are requesting that OIS release your SEVIS record to your new institution.
- Once you have completed and submitted the e-form, you will be prompted to provide the Office of International Services with a copy of a letter or memo stating that you have been admitted by the Admissions Department at your new institution.
In addition to taking this action, you will need to consider the following guidelines (depending on your situation):
If you are currently attending IUB, have not completed a degree program and wish to transfer your SEVIS record to attend another institution:
- In addition to requesting your request for a SEVIS transfer through iStart and providing the documentation of admission to your new institution, you will need to make sure to request and receive your SEVIS transfer before the start of the next academic term (Fall or Spring).
If you have completed a program at a US institution and will begin a new program at IU in the Fall, Spring, or Summer session:
- In addition to requesting that IUB release your SEVIS record to your new institution through iStart and providing the documentation of admission to your new institution, you will need to keep in mind that you must request your release and have that release granted within thirty (30) days following the completion of your former program.
If you have completed a program at IUB and are currently pursuing Academic Training in the United States, but will start a new degree program:
- In addition to requesting that IUB release your SEVIS record through iStart and providing the documentation of admission to your new institution, you will need to keep in mind that your Academic Training will end on the date that your SEVIS record is released to another school. Academic Training authorization is not transferrable.
If you intend to have your SEVIS record transferred after your Academic Training ends, you will need to request your release and have that release granted within thirty (30) days following the completion of your Academic Training.
If your plans change (i.e., you decide to transfer to a different school, etc.) it is essential that you notify an OIS advisor immediately! Once your SEVIS record has been transferred, the action cannot be reversed.